The goal of this section is to provide you with reporting information. You will learn who to report to & various ways to make a report.
If you believe that you or someone else has been subjected to sexual harassment:
1. You could ask the person exhibiting the unwelcome behavior to stop. You might want to talk to a friend and have them accompany you while you talk with him or her. You are not required to do this and it is suggested for you to consider doing only if you are comfortable doing so. If you decide to speak directly to the person involved, you may find that clear communication can sometimes resolve an issue immediately, as well as build greater understanding between individuals in the Church.
2. You may report your concern to:
- the rector or clergy person in charge of the congregation
- the Senior Warden of the congregation
- The Bishop
- Safe Church Coordinator (The Rev. Debra Warwick-Sabino)
How to make a report
- Telephone call
- In-person meeting
- Filing a “Notice of Concern” and/or
- Diocesan Website (via e-mail access to the Diocesan Intake Officer for Safe Church)
Anyone in a position of ministerial leadership is required to report any suspected or known policy violations to the rector or clergy person in charge of the congregation.
What happens next?
All complaints of harassment will be reviewed and investigated promptly and impartially by the Church’s management and/or its designee.
If it is determined that a fact-finding investigation is necessary, it will be launched promptly.
Will the report be confidential?
The Church will protect the confidentiality of the allegations to the extent possible; however, no individual can be promised or guaranteed strict or absolute confidentiality. For example, information may have to be disclosed to those officials and/or Church Personnel with a need to know in order to carry out the purpose and intent of this Policy.
Corrective or disciplinary action will be taken against any Church Personnel found to have engaged in sexual exploitation. Such action may include counseling and/or appropriate disciplinary measures, up to and including termination.
Next: click on Retaliation