Any and all persons who have Pastoral Relationships shall be screened and selected using the following tools and procedures:
1. Applicants shall be known to the leadership of the congregation for at least six (6) months to a year.
2. Background Screening will include:
a. A Confidential Screening Form [or other church deployment form as in the case of ordained clergy] shall be completed by the applicant which includes an authorization for the release of information to conduct background screening and reference checks. In addition to the screening form the applicant will sign a Code of Conduct.
b. A Criminal Records Check will be made for people who will be working with vulnerable adults, including in the home of a vulnerable adult, or who will be working with adults in programs or activities which encourage emotional intensity and vulnerability. This check will include any state where the applicant has resided during the past five (5) years, and other states, if any, as determined by the congregation or diocese.
c. A Sexual Offender Registry Check will be made for people who will be working with vulnerable adults, including in the home of a vulnerable adult, or who will be working with adults in programs or activities which encourage emotional intensity and vulnerability. in any state where the applicant has resided during the past five (5) years.
d. An individual Interview will occur with the applicant.
e. Reference Checks of applicants should include at least one relative outside the congregation and at least one other person outside the congregation.
3. All information gathered about an applicant will be carefully reviewed and evaluated to make a determination, in consultation with others as necessary, of whether or not the person is appropriate to engage in Pastoral Relationships.
4. Persons who have Pastoral Relationships must have a personnel file that is kept where other church records are kept.
5. Persons who have Pastoral Relationships who transfer within the Diocese of Northern California and apply for or take a position in which they have Pastoral Relationships are required to undergo the same screening and selection process specified above. This requirement may be met through a transfer of a copy of their file to the new congregation, school, agency, or program with completion of a new application, individual interview and reference checks with the congregations, schools, agencies or other programs for which the applicant has had Pastoral Relationships since the screening was last done as shown in the applicant’s file.
Next: Click on Education and Training.