- In 2001 there were 671,422 reported cases of child abuse.
- Physical abuse and neglect represented over 50% of all reported cases.
- From 1990-2000 child abuse reports increased 18%.
- One-tenth of all substantiated cases of child abuse in the U.S. are from California.
- A child is abused once every 32 seconds.
- An estimated 1100 children died as a result of abuse and neglect in 1999 and 1200 in 2000.
- The Health and Human Services agency estimates there were 3 million referrals of maltreatmentto child protective service agencies in 2000. Approximately 879,000 cases were substantiated. Of these substantiated cases, 739,000 were abused by a parent or parents, and 140,000 by someone other than a parent.
- Child abuse kills more children in America than do falls, choking, suffocation, or fires.
- An estimated one of every four female children will be molested by age 18.
Click here for more information on Child Abuse and Neglect in California.
Click on A Mandate from God to continue the course.
* Does child abuse kill more children in America than do falls, choking, suffocation or fires?
Source: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics